Eleven Men Arrested in Jigawa For Allegedly Raping 12-year-old Girl
My Father’s been having intercourse with me for eight years- Teenager reveals
‘I was pushed by the devil’ says undergraduate arrested for rape in Ondo
The headlines go on and on and you know what is worse? Considering that most cases are not even reported or documented. Let me say this before I commence- Yes, boys and men are victims of this too but sincerely it is not as rampart as of the female child.
That doesn’t make the crime less but I won’t tolerate any arguments or hate comments on the male child. It is not a competition, realize that, and we can unite against this vice that could tear up our society.
WHAT IS RAPE?
Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration carried out without that person’s consent. It could be carried out by physical force, coercion (even blackmailing), or abuse of authority against someone who can’t give valid consent; unconscious, incapacitated, intellectual disability or below the age of consent
KNOW THIS: IF YOU SEARCH THE LEGAL AGE OF CONSENT IN NIGERIA, GOOGLE WOULD DISPLAY AGE 11 AND THAT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT IS 18. Section 31 (3) (a) of the Child Act 2003 states that, ‘Where a person is charged with an offense (of unlawful sexual relations with a child) under this section (31 of the same act). It is immaterial that the offender believed the person to be of or above the age of eighteen years. Sexual intercourse with a minor is called Statutory Rape
According to World Population Review Women the ages 16-19 are four times more likely to be victims of rape or sexual assault and students ages 18-24 are three times more likely to experience sexual assault.
Rape is inhumane, its an inexcusable action and those involved in it should be dealt with accordingly. Do not feel entitled to her body, it is not yours even if she is your wife. As a rule, consent must be sought before engaging.
EFFECTS OF RAPE
Rape is a traumatic experience we definitely do not want people to go through, nevertheless our friends and family. It leaves both a physiological and psychological effect on victims.
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Mental Instability
- Read your Bible, if these sexual thoughts ever come to your mind. Example: Ephesians 2:14-18. Avoid situations that even conceive those thoughts
- Ask for consent before sex
- The world is not safe and we know that, so ladies you must learn to defend yourselves physically, carry defensive items in your hand bag. A simple DIY- Get an empty spray bottle, fill it with methylated spirit and pepper
- If you are going to a potentially dangerous place, please don’t go unless you have a professional escort
- Before you go anywhere, tell people and don’t lie
- Don’t give mixed signals. Say what you want and let your No be No!
- The punishment for rape must be emphasized
- Please don’t leave your little children with people you don’t trust in order to avoid regrets. Yes, be overly protective of your kids around their relatives as well
- Prayer is the key. The world we live in is extremely nasty
- Guys, normalize taking NO for an answer. If you are extremely horny, go and play games or something to take your mind off it
- It would also help if the same energy put into the sensitization of females is put into the upbringing of the male child
Furthermore, victims of rape are human beings like us, definitely going through a hard time and should be showed love. They still belong with us and we must frown at any shade of stigmatization- that demeaning mentality must be terminated. Its acts from the society like this that stops them from speaking and if no one is speaking up, no one is fighting against it.
From the heading; the short time release is the monster, the rapist while the life time pain is the victim.
If you have been a victim of rape, I hope this helps;
- Confide in someone
- Speak up
- Engage in therapy sessions
- Join forums and groups that assist
- Get in touch with Mirabel Centre a Sexual Assault Referral Centre which provides medical and psycho social services to survivors of sexual assault and rape. Twitter @MirabelCentreNG
We would like to hear from you so please feel free to share your thoughts, contributions, solutions and experiences. Let stand for a change together!
Written by Chioma Okpala and Nnamdi Maduka